Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Why Yes to Noh?

Like any average Japanese person, I had never bothered to go to see Noh, assuming it was exclusive to the elderly and the esoteric.  Noh is highly respected and is registered world heritage, but it’s difficult to understand and outright dull.  Right?  Some foreign scholar apparently once called it the most boring form of art in the world.  I mean, the actors hardly move on stage, speak some archaic Japanese that no one understands, and what is the deal with those creepy looking masks? 

So, when I finally decided to go see a Noh play for the first time, I easily expected it to turn into nap time. 

Instead, I walked out of the theater with unforgettable depth of emotions that captivated my heart and mind for days to come.  It was an amazing experience.  What a shame, to have missed out on this wonderful form of entertainment until now!  And why did I always assume Noh was difficult?  It was not --- The story was easy to follow, and the subtitles (available in Japanese and English) really helped.

I think watching a Noh play is a bit like looking at an impressionistic painting.  If I stood in front of a masterpiece for ten minutes, for instance, I would probably walk away with some kind of feeling or vibe that was conveyed through the painting.  That's what Noh felt like for me.  Moreover, feelings typically conveyed through Noh plays are basic human emotions such as love, hatred, and loss, so they were quite easy to related to, despite the ancient drama setting or the archaic language.

I started this journal to keep track of my Noh experience for my own record, and to share my reviews with anyone who might be interested.  As I learn more about Noh appreciation, I will hopefully become a more cultured reviewer and able to provide some interesting insights.  Enjoy.

Best,
Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment